BRICK, NJ — Brick Township police are warning residents about an increase in scams targeting those over 60 years old.
The police department, in a notice issued by the township, said those 60 and older are targeted more frequently than any other age group. The notice did not specify a particular scam but there are a number of scams going around at any time.
Police offered these reminders:
Find out what’s happening in Brick with free, real-time updates from Patch.
- NEVER send money or gift cards to people you don’t know.
- The gas company, electric company and water and sewer companies will never call you and ask you to pay a bill using gift cards
- Do not answer the phone for unknown callers
- The Social Security Office will NEVER call you
- The IRS will NEVER call you
- The police and sheriff’s office will NEVER call you and tell you “You have a warrant and must send us money.”
Brick Township police also offered this information on common scams: